Search This Blog

Thursday 18 February 2016

17/2/16 Beginning to get fitter

When I wrote my last post I had just got back in the saddle but stormy weather was making conditions less than desirable!  Well, thanks to storm Imogen, following that first windy little hack Jack ended up having a couple of days off and was even treated to a night in the stable, a rare luxury for him!   This actually coincided with hospital and Dr appointments for me so it would have been difficult to fit in riding anyway so as timing goes it was actually good for once!
By Wednesday the storm had passed and calm resumed so we headed out for another slightly longer hack, the plan is to go slightly further each day, we were alone again but Jack behaved beautifully and was much more forward and working well over his back into a nice long, low and soft contact.  His back felt great and I could feel him swinging through which I don't usually feel, even out hacking he usually needs some encouragement to step through and not just dawdle along as a leisurely pace but I wasn't having to use any leg at all and he was nice and soft into the contact too. His back muscles will be building up nicely working like that!  As he was going so nicely I wanted to keep up with the hacking, straight lines are best at this stage to build his muscle evenly so we ventured out again on Thursday and again increased the length of the route we took also including a couple of short bursts of trot.  Jack felt so good, he had a real spring in his step, lots of energy and enthusiasm but no silliness or spookiness and we had a really nice ride.  He found coming back down the bridle path very exciting but he managed to keep a lid on it. I let him have a trot on the slightly uphill bit and he was very keen indeed, the grass verge was very soft and deep so I stayed on the path as the last thing I want to do is have him slip or pull something in deep going when he's not fully fit.  I was really pleased with him again and he seems to have just the right amounts of energy without so much he's naughty or spooky, he is also looking nice and trim now too which is great as its always a struggle keeping his weight down.  I'm glad he isn't carrying any excess weight coming out of winter, I don't have to worry quite so much about the spring grass!!
I couldn't ride Friday due to childcare issues and appointments so Jack got another day off!  Not ideal but nothing I could do about it and in the long run its probably good for him, there is no rush to get him fit at this stage, we have no date we have to work to, no pressure on us and one of the things I learnt while rehabbing after his surgery is to take your time.
We managed to get out again on Saturday and enjoyed another nice hack with lots to like about Jacks way of going and attitude, he has just the right amount of energy to work to the best of his ability without being silly.  It's a good job he will hack alone as we've not seen anyone to ride with all week!
Sunday was a busy day with family so I just lunged in the pessoa but again I was impressed with Jacks attitude and way of going, much more forward and enthusiastic :)
On Monday I didn't get to the yard in time to go for a hack so decided to take him in the school instead, he had been less than enthusiastic the last time we had been in there so I got my spurs on ready.  I also borrowed a friends magnetic rug to pop on him for half and hour before I rode.
Now at the moment I can't say what's making the difference but WOW he felt amazing!!  I honestly don't think he has ever felt so light, forward, responsive, adjustable and soft!  I could have ridden all night he just felt so wonderful but I kept to a steady 30mins with several breaks for stretching so not to over do it.
So what is it that's making the difference, is it the food now I've changed him onto the higher energy mix, the magnetic boots, magnetic rug or combination of all 3?  I'm really not sure at this stage but I'm just absolutely thrilled that he is feeling so good.  I have never got that feeling from him before and I'm really excited by it, if we can keep that as he gets back to full fitness I will have got my horse back better than ever!  I'm thrilled for him too as he is getting his confidence back 😀
So I will be continuing with using the magnetic rug and boots before and after exercising him as well as  doing carrot stretches before every ride.  I will be hacking again this week and building up the amount of trot work each day, if the weather allows as forecast is heavy rain and snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment