Search This Blog

Monday 24 October 2016

Jack update and jumping Jay 24/10/16

Jack is now nearing the end of his confinement as ordered by the vet last week so I will be trotting him up tonight to see how he is.  The good news is that on Bute he has been looking sound and much more comfortable over his hips and pelvis so I'm keeping everything firmly crossed that this continues now he is being weaned of the pain killers.  Vet is happy for us to try him tonight so we will see how that goes then make a plan.
He has been living out 24/7 in a tiny little paddock since last week which has actually not done his waistline any harm despite no work as he has had access to very little grass and I've been feeding hay in the field.  We move onto our winter grazing soon and I want him on the lean side so he can stay out a bit more!
He's looking very hairy and scruffy now and still rug free so if he is able to get back to work my first job will be to clip him out and clean and tidy him up a bit! 



While Jack has been off games I went to ride my friends pony this week, she has been doing really well and won lots of Dressage classes on him this year and one of the young girls on her yard has been doing a fair bit of jumping with him.  I've not ridden him in 6 months and the improvements in his balance were really clear, he felt much more consistent and stronger.  He's been jumping lots of lower level classes 50 - 60cm heights and has done well jumping a lot of clears recently.  Jumping him felt a little strange at first as I've not ridden anything but Jack in 6months but we were soon enjoying ourselves and he jumped really nicely for me.  We had a bit of trouble with a double which I had not sat him up enough for and he knocked both parts down with his front legs but when I got my act together and rode him up in to a stronger contact he jumped it beautifully.  He is a great little eventing pony in the making and I'm hoping I might be able to steal him a bit next year and maybe do some arena eventing over winter!


Finally and very exciting news to finish is that this little blog has been selected as a finalist in the Haynet equine blogger of the year 2016 awards!!  I still can't believe it!  The winner is chosen 50% on public vote and 50% on judging panel decision so I am hoping everyone who reads this blog can get behind us and vote for us by following this link https://surveyplanet.com/57fbbe270fd7773010cf4632
It only takes a few seconds and your support would mean so much to me so thank you in advance for your awesome support!



No comments:

Post a Comment