Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 May 2017

Jack gets the all clear..... again 25/5/17

After 2weeks of box rest following his steroid injection to treat tenosynovitis in the off fore Jack was due his check up with the vet.  He was coming at 1pm and I finished work at 12.30pm so I rushed down like a bat out of hell from work to give Jack some sedalin and instamag before the vet arrived.  I didn't think I had a snowflake in hells chance of holding on to him for the trot up without it!  To be fair he's been pretty good for the 2weeks really, it was better than I thought but maybe I just wasn't there to see most of his antics.  I know some of the other girls had to give him the instamag when they were turning out so he hasn't been perfect!  The first couple of days of box rest were the worst as poor Jack couldn't understand why he wasn't going out at the end of the day like normal.  Every time I left him he was rearing and spinning round his box and getting pretty upset but luckily that didn't last after the first few days.  He seemed to accept that he wasn't going out after that and was much better whenever I was there at least.  The 2 weeks finally came to an end and so with Jack dosed up with sedalin the vet arrived and had a check of the leg.  He was happy that the swelling was much reduced and while I thought it had actually come back up a bit again in the 2nd week he wasn't concerned.  All his legs were a little puffy anyway from being in so some turnout and gentle exercise should improve things further.  Next up was the moment I had been rather apprehensive about, the trot up!  Even though I'd given him sedalin and some instamag I put a bridle on Jack and hat and gloves on me before I led him out onto the concrete yard!  I walked him away and back first and noticed he was sound on the turns which was a big improvement on pre injection.  I then did the trot up, Jack didn't trot very well so we had to do it twice but he kept it together and was actually very well behaved which was a huge relief!  Even better the vet said he's sound and gave the all clear for him to be turned out.  Hurrah!!!  I was so pleased!  So after a chat about rehab and another check of the leg the vet went on his way and I was able to turn Jack out.  I had already asked our YO to fence off a small paddock for him in anticipation so he was able to go straight out while still dopey from the sedalin.  He was keen to get to the field but as soon as I took his headcollar off his head went down and he set about munching with out a buck or a kick or even a roll.  Perfect!  The last thing he needed was to go tearing round the field and undo all the healing that's taken place over the last 2 weeks so for him to just get his head down and eat was exactly what I wanted.  I stayed a while to be confident he wasn't going to suddenly go nuts but he was so chilled still an hour later I left him too it.  I did go back later and put his grazing muzzle on as having been off grass for 2weeks only getting a hand picked bucket twice a day I didn't want him to gorge too much and give himself an up set tummy! The plan now is for him to have another week off, he will be being turned out at night and in during the day then he can begin some walk work.  Due to his history I'm going to take rehab very slowly and carefully!!  This will mean lots of boring walking for the next few weeks but I don't care, I will just be glad to be back on and determined to do everything I possibly can to get Jack back to full health.  I'm not bothered how long it takes.  The vet is confident we can back competing before the end of the season but I'm not aiming for that, I don't want to push Jack by putting a deadline on his fitness or entering any competitions.  I'm going to rehab according to how he feels.  There is plenty of time for eventing in the future, he's only 11 and he's not going anywhere!
Enjoying some much deserved chill time in the field :0)



No comments:

Post a Comment