Search This Blog

Monday 18 May 2015

Recovery week 15 - 18/5/15

This weeks big milestone was trotting under saddle and whilst it has not gone quite as smoothly as I had hoped over all I'm pretty pleased with our progress and Jacks work on the lunge continues to be excellent.  I suppose I was expecting something to go wrong before long as it had all been going rather too easy so far!

Having had last weekend off I began Monday by lunging him in the pessoa, he was working well and was settled despite the break so we progressed to 4 ground poles on a circle a bounce stride apart and he popped over them in walk trot and canter nicely using his back end and keeping a regular rhythm. As he seemed to be finding this all very easy I decided to up the difficulty again by raising 1 end of the poles slightly to get him picking his feet up a bit more and really having to use his back end.  Jack didn't disappoint and popped through on both reins again in walk, trot and canter looking comfortable and keen but maintaining a good rhythm and shape.  I was really impressed with how well he worked and even managed to get some videos and pics of him whilst lunging, not the easiest task trying to hold and film on a phone while holding a lunge line and whip and keeping him going!   I wont win any awards for the footage or pics but they will be useful when reviewing our progress.

The next day one of the other liveries was hacking out in the afternoon so we were able to join her for a nice relaxed pootle round the village and back down the canal tow path home.  In the past we usually canter/gallop along the wide grass verge at the side of the tow path and both boys were a bit keen as we walked along so I thought a bit of a trot might help them settle.  With Jack in front we set off and they were keen to say the least but we managed to stay in trot, just!  Jack felt awesome!  He was doing a beautiful extended trot pushing from behind and swinging through his back, it felt great and my friend commented how well he was moving too - good Jack!  We managed to get them back before they boiled over and walked the rest of the way home.  So first trot done and another milestone ticked off on our journey back to full recovery :) big smiles and lots of pats all round!

I followed this up the next day with a pessoa session of the flat which went well.

Thursday was an altogether more interesting day!  Jack is turned out during the day with a muzzle on because our grass is rather too good and plentiful at the moment, he hates it but other than not being to cooperative when putting it on and trying to rub it off he doesn't usually bother with it too much. He is also often in the paddock on his own in the day as the other 2 come in during the day for a break from the grass, he is next to others though so not lonely.  He has never been a problem to catch or bring in up until now but today he decided as we walked to the gate that he was going to rear up and spin round catching me totally off guard and ripping the lead rope out of my hand in the process, he then disappeared back up the field at high speed with the rope dangling round his legs.  He has never done anything like it before the little monkey.  He wasn't difficult to catch again as all he wanted to do was stuff his face now his muzzle was off!  The only problem now was he had managed to break his headcollar and lose it somewhere in the field.  I managed to locate it and get it on him again and lead him back down the field only for him to do the same thing again when we got to the gate!  I was ready for him this time and held on but unfortunately the headcollar repair gave out and off he went again back up the field leaving me stood holding an empty headcollar!  I was by now getting a little frustrated and decided if Jack wanted to behave like that so that he could eat the last thing I was going to do was let him graze, so he I chased him!  He then went galloping round the field like a loony for the next 10 minutes!  I have to say he looked great and certainly could move!  So now, running very late and feeling pretty frustrated, I grabbed a bucket of chaff and a complete headcollar and managed to get the little pig in!  I had planned on getting straight on him but due to his behaviour I though better of it and gave him a bit of a lunge first but he seemed to have got it all out his system in the field so I hopped on board.  After doing lots of stretching and walk halt walk transitions I decided to try a trot in the ménage, this is where he had been struggling pre surgery so it was a big test to see how he would react.  He was a little hesitant especially on the right rein where he went crooked and threw his head up first and needed quite a bit of encouragement but did a few transitions on each rein so I was really pleased and left it there for the day.

I wanted to hack Friday but there was no one to ride out with and I didn't feel ready to go solo just  yet so lunged instead.  I put poles out again and in the pessoa lunged over 4 poles this time spread out evenly round the circle.  After a warm up he walked trotted and cantered over the poles on both reins getting a nice even 3 canter strides between each pole.  As he seemed to be finding this nice and easy I again upped the difficulty by raising the outer end of each pole and he rose to the challenge cantering over them beautifully - clever pony!

He had a day off Saturday as I was at Chatsworth horse trials for the weekend - fantastic and fairly local event which I love going to and usually pick up a few bargains too!  I did manage to ride Sunday evening when we got home.  I considered lunging first but decided against it and hopped straight on board.  I was pleased to realise he had not been swinging his quarter away from the fence when mounting since he's come back into work - before his op he would always make it difficult to mount by swinging his quarters away from the fence or mounting block or backing up but he's not done that once since I've been riding him again so I am taking this as a good sign!  Anyway I warmed him up in walk doing lots of big circles changes of rein transitions to halt and serpentines before trying trot again.  He was being quite behind my leg and was reluctant again to trot going crooked and throwing his head up and when I insisted this time he reacted a bit more to my request by planting himself and threatened to rear.  I felt like I had been transported back in time, this is exactly how he had been before surgery.  I quickly turned him on a tight circle to stop him and gave him a smack with my whip to let him know I wasn't going to put up with that and when I asked again he was much better.  After that he did some good transitions and was much more forward so I was really pleased.  I am hoping the reluctance is just out of habit and memory pain and that riding him through it he will come to realise in time that it doesn't hurt anymore.  Just in case I have also arranged for him to have a physio session to relieve any soreness he may have and make sure he is as comfortable as possible.  My vet has also suggested giving him bute for a couple of days to help if he is sore.  He will have an easier time now until the physio has seen him.

I am now trying hard not to convince myself that there must be something else wrong!  Am I doing the right thing by trying to ride him through the bad behaviour?  Is it really just memory pain or is there something else bothering him?  Should I get the vet out? 

I am hoping the physio will be able to give me some answers and advice! 

This kissing spines journey really is a roller coaster!
   



No comments:

Post a Comment