Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 May 2015

Recovery week 16 - 25/5/15

Wow I can't believe we are 16 weeks post op already - those first 6 weeks on box rest felt like a lifetime at the time but now they are a distant memory and we are already 10 weeks on from there!

Anyway those of you who read my last post will know that we have had a bit of a blip when it came to trotting in the ménage and I had decided that a physio session was needed to check Jack over before pushing the issue any further.  Well unfortunately the physio has been that booked up she has not been able to come yet so the plan until she can come at the end of the week is just to take things a bit easier.  I have also discussed my concerns with my vet and rehab centre manager and they both agreed a change in his work until he is seen by the physio is a good idea so we have been doing a lot of gentle hacking and no schooling or lunging.  This change in work has lead to a lot of firsts again this week including first hack alone, first canter (unintended by still great!) and first loose jump.

I had not intended on tackling our first solo hack so soon as we had only been on 2 accompanied hacks but I had arranged to hack out with one of the other liveries who then had to cancel at the last minute, as I was already ready to go and we used to hack alone a lot prior to surgery I decided there was no time like the present and to just man up and get on with it, we didn't go far but Jack was foot perfect the whole way and felt very relaxed and happy what a good boy and no need for me to worry!

We also went for a little hack with one of the liveries daughters on her pony, Jack was not too impressed at being asked to slow down and wait for a littleun!  We trotted back along the grass on the bridleway on the way home and Jack was really going for it again and felt so keen that near the end I decided to let him go and see if he would canter, he picked up straight away and cantered to the end so that's another huge milestone under our belts and I'm thrilled there was no dramas about it!

Over the busy bank holiday weekend I was rushed for time so on one day I didn't have time to ride but still wanted to give Jack some exercise so I decided to loose school over a little jump and see how he went. I didn't want to put him under too much pressure so I only put up a little cross pole and let him decide if he was going over it and at what pace.  Well he just cantered off round the track and popped over the cross pole over and over again with his ears pricked and a smile on his face!  I have never seen this horse jump with such enthusiasm!  He was taking strides out and really giving them some air!  The biggest difference I could see from before his op was how he released over the fence with his back end, in the past he has been sticky and stuttery in his approach preferring to chip a little stride in than stand off and often rolling a pole from dragging his hind legs over, presumably due to the tightness and pain in his back.  There was none of this now, he was making a great shape and didn't touch it once!  The other huge difference was his attitude and enthusiasm, he was flying with ears pricked and looked smooth and comfortable, looking for the fence and needing no encouragement from me to keep jumping.  I didn't want him to do too much so I had to stop him!

This has pleased me no end, by far the biggest improvement since his op and very exciting to see!

Im afraid I wasn't quick enough to get any pics or video to evidence his jumping doh!

Onwards to next week the plan is more gentle hacks letting Jack choose how much or little we do until the physio visit.

Here he is modelling his new fly sheet one of the bargains I picked up from chatsworth horse trials last week


No comments:

Post a Comment