Search This Blog

Monday 17 August 2015

Recovery week 27 - 10/8/15

We are now just over 6months since Jacks surgery and things are going really well at the moment, there are still good and bad days and lots of ups and downs almost daily but in general Jack is happier, more relaxed and beginning to enjoy himself again.  His ridden work is becoming more consistent and the negative behaviour is occurring less and less. 
There is a big difference which I realised this week - I am enjoying riding again!!! :) I look forward to riding and can't wait to get to the farm everyday to see my horse, this is how it should be and what I have been missing for so long!
Last week I mentioned Jack had had some slight lameness in his off fore but this seems to have just been some bruising and has not reoccurred since - yay!
So just to keep me on my toes I then found a rather alarming lump on the outside of his off hind just below the hock (see piccies below of the off hock on the left with the lump and the near hock on the right to compare although I didn't get the same angle so they don't show it so well!)



It's pretty impressive but it doesn't seem to bother him at all and he is not lame on it.  It's hard and there is no swelling or heat so it's a bit of a mystery what he has done but I'm trying not to worry about it as it's not bothering him at the moment.  Next time the vet is at the yard I'll get them to have a quick look and obviously if it starts to be an issue I'll get it checked out sooner but for now I'm trying not to worry about it (easier said than done after all we've been through!)
We've enjoyed lots of hack both alone and in company this week but taken things slowly due to the hard ground.  
We even got to go for a run with my other half and our little boy!



Behaviour wise Jack has been brilliant, he has been relaxed and calm even hacking alone where he is usually a bit on edge and can be spooky.
I hate to wish for bad weather but could do with a bit of rain to soften the ground up so we can get back out in the jumping field again, I just daren't risk it with the ground so solid at the moment :(
We've not much grass at the moment and I do think his energy levels are suffering a bit, we should have a nice rested paddock to move him and his 2 field companions onto but one of the other liveries has been using it and it's not been rested so we are now struggling a bit.  She has now moved back onto her own paddocks so hopefully in a couple of weeks the grass will have recovered a bit and we can move them over to some better grazing.  Although he is hungry and lacking a bit of energy it is doing his waistline good as keeping him trim is always a battle and I have holiday booked end of this week and again at the end of the month so he is going to be out of work for a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment