Search This Blog

Thursday 5 March 2015

Good and bad news 5/3/15

Its been a bit of an up and down few days with Jack since our latest vet visit.

Having been cautiously been given the go ahead to give him a little bit of in hand gentle walking exercise at the end of last week the vet has now rescinded the decision due to Jacks behaviour!  Despite being given the maximum dose of sedalin and plenty of time for it to take affect Jack was unable to contain himself during his walks and the vet was not comfortable with the level of risk so he asked me to stop all attempts at any exercise until he has been seen him again.

I was disappointed by the news but could understand where the vet is coming from, although Jack clearly couldn't be in too much discomfort to be performing airs above ground every other step round the car park!  It might not seem like much but it felt like a step forward to be giving him that little bit of exercise.  I think the vet could hear my disappointment and perhaps agreed with me about how Jack must be feeling because the next morning he rang me again to say he would bring the re xray appointment forward by a week for me if I wanted as Jack seems to be responding/recovering so well.

Obviously this does not automatically mean he can be turned out earlier as it will depend what they find on the xrays on the 16th but I'm keeping everything firmly crossed that the results are good and we can start getting him out his box!  He is still coping pretty well and other than pulling faces and being a bit grumpy he's generally accepting of his fate and not making too much fuss at being in.  Having said that given any opportunity he likes to give me a hard time by throwing anything within his reach about the place.  I arrived Tuesday night to find the tarpaulin that should be covering his hay on the floor, his head collar and lead rope a good 5 meters from where I left them hanging on his peg, hay everywhere, haynets all over and bucket thrown over the door!  Little monkey!

I have joined a couple of groups on facebook for people with horses with kissing spines and the members seem lovely and encouraging, although there is a lot of conflicting advice!  One thing I have noticed and commented on is the general approach from almost everyone else seems to be to start in hand exercise pretty much as soon as their horse has come home, apparently this is the latest advice from leading vets but it goes against everything my own vet is telling me.  It did concern me that it appeared my vet was using what could be dated recovery techniques, a call to the vets put my mind at ease a bit and I would never go against there advice despite being made to feel a bit uneasy by other people's experiences.

Anyway I am continuing to follow the vets advice to the T in the hope that it will lead to the best possible outcome.

His other injuries are now healing well and are looking better everyday, I am still cleaning them twice a day and applying the cream to prevent proud flesh but I shouldn't have to keep doing it for too much longer by the look of them now.
The incision on his spine is still slightly raised but still appears to be healing well from the outside.








No comments:

Post a Comment