Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Recovery week 8 - Rehab begins 30/3/15

Today felt like a big step forward in Jacks recovery from Kissing spine surgery, he travelled to Bennett Equine Sport Rehabilitation Centre to begin 4 weeks of therapy as recommended by Jack's fantastic surgeon at Oakham vet hospital.

I was very excited to get Jack there, we are now 8 weeks post op and he has done so well coping with 6 weeks of total stable confinement followed by 2 weeks of turnout 24/7 but beginning therapy really feels like a big milestone in his recovery and we hope will give him the best possible start to his return to being a ridden horse. 

With a mix of nerves and excitement I headed for the farm to get Jack in and try to tidy him up a little before leaving.  Luckily there were no dramas this time with the trailer or Jack and all was going smoothly until I came to load him and he refused to go anywhere near the trailer ramp!  He took some persuading but eventually I managed to convince him to go in.  Poor boy has not had much fun going in the trailer recently and he's never been the best loader onto the trailer anyway so I think all the visits to the vets in the last year have taken their toll and he has decided the trailer is not a nice place to be.  I feel some trailer loading practice will be needed.

Once we got under way everything was fine and then we missed the turning into the therapy centre and had to perform a difficult turn in a tight space to try to get back!  We arrived a little stressed but otherwise ok and Jack seemed unstressed by the journey despite there being some very big road humps and pot holes on the way.

The yard is absolutely gorgeous, so neat, clean, tidy and with facilities to die for!  I don't think Jack will want to come home to his messy, muddy working farm after a long stay in a 5* luxury spa!  We took him up to what will be his home for the next 4weeks, a lovely roomy red brick stable with views across the open triangle shaped yard and horse walker.

 


 He certainly seemed to be at home with his lovely stable and tasty haylage net!
 
While he took in his surroundings we parked the trailer up and then were shown a horse working on the Aqua treadmill, it was so interesting hearing about the horses history, what they were doing with him and how it was helping.  I am certainly full of confidence that Jack is in the best possible hands!

 
 
Having completed the necessary paperwork I went back to check on Jack, say goodbye and give him a few mints before I left for work.
 
They said they would be putting Jack on the aqua treadmill that afternoon and would be in touch later with how he had got on - I warned them he is not too keen on water usually!
 
I was thrilled to find out later that not only had he been on the treadmill with no problems he had even enjoyed the water!  His sessions will build up daily and he will also be having electro-magnetic and pulse therapy as well as some physiotherapy and sessions in the solarium to warm and ease his back muscles.  He will also have some turnout daily plus sessions on the covered horse walker!
 
Amazing!  I can't wait to go up at the weekend and see him in action on the aqua-treadmill! 
 
So now I have 4 weeks with lots of time on my hands and no money as I have had to pay for the therapy up front and claim it back from my insurance co who seem to be painfully slow in paying out claims!  At least I will have plenty of time for getting my stable and tack etc clean and tidy ready for Jack's return at the end of April!
 
I've even booked a little break while he is gone - up to my parents in the highlands of Scotland for a week - shame I can't afford a week in the sun but beggars cant be choosers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment